Beginner's Luck

Monday, March 28, 2011

The Rainbow Bridge

Maybe it's because I grew up in south Florida, but I've always had a thing for bridges. How they're built and the way they connect one mass of land to another has always intrigued me. I had read in our Tokyo guidebook about the Rainbow Bridge and was anxious to see it from the moment we got to Japan.

I'd tried walking to the bridge two times before I finally made it there with Jody the Sunday before the earthquake. Although it looked much more spectacular in professional photographs than it did when we walked across it, the 30 minute trek over the suspended structure was still a great experience.

What was on the other side of the bridge was even better than the bridge itself - Odaiba is a man made island built during the Edo period to help protect Tokyo from intruders. Today, it is a favorite dating spot for Tokyoites; complete with shops, restaurants and a small beach with a grand view of the skyscrapers of the city.
{Rainbow Bridge - we walked over it!}

{view from the man made beach}

. {Jody & I on the boardwalk at sunset}

6 Comments:

Blogger Dad said...

Great pictures

March 29, 2011 at 6:14 AM  
Blogger Taylor Polk said...

Beautiful pictures!

March 29, 2011 at 7:43 PM  
Blogger Caitlin said...

you two are so darn cute!! So glad you are home tho! :) --is that a scarf around you??

March 30, 2011 at 10:35 AM  
Blogger Colleen said...

haha - it's an animal of a scarf, but yes - it's a scarf.

March 30, 2011 at 2:07 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

I am so glad you are home safe, but I am sure you are missing Jody something terrible. I hope he is able to join you soon. What is the update on his status? I am glad you are continuing to blog. Love you tons!!! XOX

March 30, 2011 at 6:52 PM  
Blogger Caitlin said...

hahahah it is mighty big! but looks incredibly comfy and cozy!! hope to see you soon cousin. June for KW, are you going?

March 31, 2011 at 7:43 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home