Beginner's Luck

Tuesday, February 15, 2011

Eyes Up

If you had asked me a month ago to leave the apartment without my subway map or my Japanese dictionary, I would have shuddered with fear.

Last week, my friend Mimi was visiting and I think she would agree that I was successful in showing her the most interesting parts of Tokyo - with subway map, dictionary & tourist guidebook in hand, of course.

A few days into her stay, we were catching the train back towards home with 2 transfers ahead of us when I overheard another passenger asking a local if the train would get him to Ginza. It was a great Lost in Translation moment, and I started to think...maybe I could give him my map and tell him which stop to get off on. I should, I bet he would appreciate it.

So that's exactly what I did - leaving me without a map, but with a new confidence in my sense of direction.

That day, we were coming from Hachiko, which happens to be the world's busiest pedestrian crossing. Check out the video below & see how hectic and busy Tokyo can be. (Yes, I trip over a branch about 10 seconds in).

Don't text & cross!

Labels:

7 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Whoa! That's a lot of people!

February 15, 2011 at 7:38 AM  
Blogger Jeanne Dery said...

You're a brave girl Colleen! I got dizzy just watching that crowd move.

February 15, 2011 at 5:34 PM  
Blogger Taylor Polk said...

Good lawd! That's a ton of people. Great post by the way. Very impressive that you're giving people directions and understanding everything more. Very, very cool bud.

February 15, 2011 at 9:54 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Oh my!! That is crazy!! Hope you had a good time with Mimi, I bet it was good to see a familiar face!

February 17, 2011 at 10:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Masterpiece! Just one request, talk about Jody more, he's awesome.

February 17, 2011 at 8:19 PM  
Anonymous Kwjanet@gmail.com said...

Hi to you and Jody
TheYasa Ramen soup just made me so hungry. Could you find out if they sell the noodles(I imagine dry) At the Mom and Pop restaurant? Thanks if you can
Did you see the photo of your Dad when he was in Vietnam ? Everybody is making comments on it.
keep up the good journalism. Love, Aunt Janet XOX
Going dancing tonight and tomorrow at The Green Parrot.
Best bar in town with great bands.

February 18, 2011 at 9:24 AM  
Anonymous Susan said...

Loving the blog Colleen! So many interesting things you are getting to experience and see. That crowd at the crossing was crazy! Hope you continue to have a great time. Love and miss you!

February 18, 2011 at 12:59 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home