Beginner's Luck

Wednesday, February 23, 2011

A Temple & A Tower

{the view of Tokyo Tower at dusk from our patio}
.
One of my favorite places to visit in Tokyo is the Zojo-ji Temple, which is a short 30 minute walk from our apartment and just steps away from the Tokyo Tower. The grounds of the temple house a mausoleum where six Tokugawa shoguns have been laid to rest, and there are rows & rows of small statues of the bodhisattva Jizo - the guardian of children who died before their parents. The temple was moved to this location in 1598 (400+ years ago!!) and is noted for the entry gate, which is the oldest wooden structure in Tokyo.

I was lucky enough to stumble upon a Buddhist ceremony and sit in while the monks chanted in the main temple on my second visit; and on my most recent, I witnessed a smaller ceremony at the hour of dusk. As I went to leave the grounds, I noticed the full moon rising over the temple gate and skyscrapers in the background, and couldn't help but feel at peace in my solitude.


{rows of the bodhisattva Jizo dressed in red and adorned with pinwheels & flowers}

{the cemetery on the grounds of Zojo-ji}


{the main temple}



{the main gate - the full moon was rising over the tall building on the left, you can see it if you look really hard...}




{the lights of the tower came on as I headed home}





5 Comments:

Blogger Dad said...

Coco, I really enjoy the links you include..Enjoy!

February 23, 2011 at 4:33 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

I Love to be around the buddhist. They are so much at peace with themselves and all around them.One can learn so much from their way of life.
Peace and love to you both

February 24, 2011 at 6:09 PM  
Blogger Shawn and Erika Buffum said...

Wow.

February 25, 2011 at 6:09 PM  
Blogger mom said...

Sweetheart, You have such a kind soul. What a perfect sight. Truly, cherish what is deep within. I am so happy for you. Centeredness.

I Love you.

February 26, 2011 at 9:34 AM  
Blogger Taylor Polk said...

great post bud! And beautiful pictures, as usual.

March 7, 2011 at 9:06 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home