Beginner's Luck

Wednesday, March 9, 2011

I Feel The Earth Move

I have always loved Carole King's I Feel The Earth Move - it's an oldie but a goodie. It's relevant in my life now because of the great relationship I share with Jody, but also because today we actually felt the earth move.
.
The day started like most other weekdays, Jody left for work around 8am and I figured out what to do with my Wednesday. Around noon, I was on the phone with my great roommate and friend Taylor, talking about a friend's baby shower and how Buddy is doing... and then, it happened.
.
I felt the earth move under my feet.
.
Actually, I was sitting down and it seemed more like being on a fishing boat in rocky waters, but the effects of a far-off earthquake were felt, and of course, Carole King's hit popped in my head and hasn't left all day.

.
Turns out the quake was a 7.3 on the Richter scale & about 90 miles off the northeast coast of Japan, around 270 miles away from Tokyo. Having grown up on the East Coast of the U.S. and never experiencing such a thing, I was relieved to be on the phone with Taylor who calmly told me to hang up and go stand in a doorway. Of course as soon as I hung up, the swaying stopped and Jody called...and I actually didn't panic.
.
Now it's close to 9pm and I can hear Jody singing Carole King from the living room - it's a catchy little tune.
.

I don't have a picture of the building swaying (obviously), so here's a picture of something that makes me smile:


{Buddy - middle, with his pals Tessie (L) & Marley (R) - I can't wait to see his little face in a few weeks.}




4 Comments:

Blogger mom said...

Wow!!! I do appreciate your blogs. I can not wait to see you honey. You did well to stay calm. I guess staying balance with that distraction is a experience you will never forget. Adapting to feeling the earth move all I can say courage to you sweet girl. Looking forward seeing You and Jody and of course Buddy.

Love, Your Mom.

March 9, 2011 at 4:40 PM  
Blogger Colleen said...

Mom,
Your comments make me laugh, love you.

March 9, 2011 at 11:42 PM  
Blogger Taylor Polk said...

Thanks for the shout out! Hahha :) Glad you are safe. Buddy loves you. And i love that song! It's now stuck in my head.

March 10, 2011 at 7:27 PM  
Blogger Robert Kelly said...

Whilst doing some clean-up on my trusty MacBook Pro i happened upon your ck-defined.blogspot.com and re-read some of your posts written while you were in Japan at the time of the great earthquake of 2011. I'm not sure that you'll ever see this comment, but in the event that you do, I just want to say how I admire your ability to write interestingly.

June 19, 2018 at 10:38 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home